The Director, Knowledge, Research and Learning’s overall responsibility is to develop a strong knowledge management, research and learning function that develops ACBF as a learning organization and provides sound and cutting-edge knowledge generation and sharing services to its partners and clients in line with the Foundation’s strategy. The specific responsibilities of the Director will include, but not be limited to:
Position: Director, Knowledge, Research and Learning
Department: Knowledge, Research and Learning
Type of Contract: Fixed Term Renewable (subject to probationary period of 1 year)
Duty Station: Harare, Zimbabwe
Deadline: Sunday, February 17, 2019
Duties and Responsibilities
- Leadership and Management
- Provide overall leadership, guidance and management of Knowledge and Learning department in line with the organization’s strategic plan including development of plans, policies, rules and procedures that guide overall implementation of the department’s activities.
- Provide input into the Foundation’s strategic planning process, annual business planning, project implementation status report and annual reports.
- Anticipate and advise the Executive Secretary on research, knowledge generation and sharing initiatives that ACBF should be taking to address existing and emerging capacity challenges and in support of the developmental priorities of the continent.
- Manage staff performance providing the overall supervision and coordination of the work of the department ensuring compliance and providing guidance to staff to ensure that performance objectives are met.
- Report regularly to the Executive Secretary on the status of work of the department through written reports, one-on-one discussions.
- Integrated knowledge management, research and learning function
- Develop ACBF as a learning organization and the ‘go-to-place’ on capacity development that systematically draws lessons from research, practical experiences, and applies lessons and innovations in capacity development.
- Lead and coordinate thematic/development-oriented research (quantitative and qualitative) relating to capacity development and management issues aligned to the Foundation’s key areas on intervention to capture and share key lessons learned.
- Maintain a “clearing house” as a common knowledge base that allows access to relevant knowledge for multiple management functions related to strategic planning, opportunities, partnerships and synergies, as business development, resource mobilization for capacity development in Africa, etc.
- Develop and implement a research, knowledge management and learning policy for ACBF; to deliver on the strategic plan deliverables of the Foundation.
- Integrate and promote knowledge sharing through the Foundation’s operational business processes and systems to facilitate seamless exchange of information systems while strengthening the importance of knowledge management into all strategic planning at all levels synthesizing results generated, success stories and lessons learnt.
- Establish and professionally manage a continental help desk for capacity development, reform management and transformation and manage ACBF’s training programs.
- Establish, manage and ensure overall building and coordination of Knowledge Networks among others Strategic Studies Group (SSGs), Africa Think Tanks Networks (ATTN), Policy Institute Committees (PICs) and African Community of Practice on Managing for Development Results (AfCoP).
- Collaborate with the ICT in the development of knowledge infrastructure and selection of knowledge and learning instruments, ranging from the application of advanced state-of-the art electronic/digital systems and online virtual knowledge networks to support learning, and knowledge sharing.
- Lead the preparation and production of the ACBF’s Flagship Africa Capacity Report (ACR); and other knowledge products such as Occasional and Working papers, Brown Brown Bag seminars and High-Level Forums (HLFs).
- Resource Mobilization, Business Development and Advisory Services
- Support ACBF’s management in anticipating, evaluating and leveraging opportunities for strategic collaboration and synergies with pan-African, country and other partners.
- Mobilize and leverage resources from development partners and domestic resources to effectively support high priority policy reforms in collaboration with other internal departments.
- Identify the services that ACBF can offer to build a ‘fee-based’ policy advisory service that can address specific needs and policy reform challenges from capacity assessments.
- Support strengthening ACBF’s Advisory Services and possibly the building up of a “consulting arm” of ACBF that draws on internal expertise and ACBF’s network of partners.
- Support closing of new business deals by providing all related requirements, developing and negotiating the contracts and related documents, as well as integrating contract requirements with ACBF’s operations and results management.
- Perform any other duties assigned by the Executive Secretary.
Selection will be on a competitive basis based on the following criteria;
Education: Advanced University degree in Economics, Development Studies or related fields.
Experience: Minimum of 15 years of demonstrated and progressive experience leading policy-oriented research and knowledge generation and sharing activities for capacity development activities is required; Experience in a similar position in an international organization is highly desirable.
Language: Excellent English Language skills. Working knowledge of French will be an added advantage.
- Judgement and Decision Making
- Managing Performance
- Empowering Others
- A good understanding of the capacity building discourse with the ability to interact with officials at the highest levels of government, civil society, international organizations and the private sector.
- Must be self-initiating and be able to work independently with strong organising, work planning and scheduling skills, capable of handling large volumes of assignments accurately and thoroughly without losing focus.
- Proven excellent communication skills, both oral and written, proven ability to clearly and concisely prepare, present, discuss and defend issues, findings and recommendations.
- Demonstrated ability to design and conduct qualitative and quantitative research, studied with experience in using such software as SPSS, STATA.
- Ability to work effectively with people at all levels in in a multi-cultural environment.
|ACBF staff lives the Values of Communication, Recognition, Excellence, Accountability and Modernity.
Applications, quoting the reference “Director, Knowledge, Research and Learning /02/2019,” including curriculum vitae with three (3) referees should be received at the address below by 17 February 2019
The Executive Secretary
The African Capacity Building Foundation
P.O. Box 1562
Please note, only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
We strongly encourage qualified female candidates to apply.
ACBF is a smoke-free environment.